Saturday 24 August 2013

The Wee Man, The Tasmanian Devil

After painting for nearly six hours I’m not sure how sane I’m going to be. But it does mean another room is sorted before we put the flat on the market. The Chancellor has been taking care of the wee man as I painted but she hasn’t had the best of days with him.

She took him to a barbecue at a friend’s place but because he hadn’t napped he went a bit mad and ultimately had a bit of a meltdown. She fell into the dangerous trap, on her return home, of thinking that the wee man was the only rubbish child there and she was the worst parent in the world, as all the other children were behaving. I told her that I’m sure all the other children will have had their moments and no child is perfect. And anyone who says their child is perfect isn’t worth the time of day and should be punched in the nose. If she's a rubbish parent then God knows what I am because surely I'm responsible for most of what he does.

But it’s an awful thing if your child is the only one who’s causing bother and I know more than most the feeling when everyone is trying to pretend they can’t hear anything when the wee man is having a meltdown. I’ve also been in the situation where the wee man has been amazing and it’s another child who’s being difficult and I’m always thankful that the children are sharing the tantrums. It gets a bit tedious when it’s always the wee man.

All you want to, at these social functions, is to relax and enjoy it but I can't remember the last time either of us were relaxed at one of these things. Because of the child he is we're always on the look out to see what he's up to and we can never trust him in a room by himself. Maybe when he's twenty or something he might have calmed down but we've got a long way to go until that.


Anyway The Chancellor going out tonight so she can just forget about it all but unfortunately she can’t drink away her sorrows. Shame. 

jpr


No comments:

Post a Comment