Thursday 21 March 2013

Looking Stupid In A Carpark

I try to make looking foolish a rare thing. However when it does happen it tends to happen to such an extent that I just want to die. One of the most embarrassing moments of my life was when I was at school and my voice broke while giving a speech to my house about directing the house play. Some 100 boys and teachers laughed and I wanted to die. I will never ever forget that moment.

Anyway yesterday I went to Sweden Ikea to buy the wee man a table and chairs. He is at a stage where he has discovered drawing and scribbling and is now very excited that he has a place to be let loose with chalks etc. On completion of the set I informed The Chancellor that there were missing parts and we had to go to Ikea in the morning to complain.

The Chancellor being off today couldn't think of anything better to do with her day off than listen to me moan to poor customer service folk, so she joined me. We took with us the offending chair missing some parts and made our way down to Ikea. On arrival at the carpark I had a moment of clarity and realised that the missing pieces were there all along just stuck between another couple of bits. As I opened the door I said "Oh...oh...um...ah...guess what?"

The Chancellor was not impressed and it fueled her opinion of me that I'm an idiot. At least though I only did this in front of her and not various Ikea staff but we weren't far off a public humiliation. So we immediately hopped back into the car with my pride firmly between my legs and scooted back home. Next time I'll double check.


jpr

No comments:

Post a Comment