Thursday 27 December 2012

Space, Time, A Burger And A Beer

I have spent today reliving old haunts and memories, none of which had anything to do with childcare or parenting. To say it felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders is an understatement. But what did I talk most about when I have a day off my parental duties? Naturally the wee man.

I met with a very old and good friend today for a burger and a beer with The Chancellor taking the wee man out to her mum's house for the day. This date has been in my calender for a while and for a long time I have wondering what to do with this liberation time.

Should I go to the cinema by myself? Too lonely.

Should I go to strip bar? Too expensive.

Should I go and sit on top of a hill staring longingly out across the landscape? Too cold and far too pretentious (though something I like to do).

I settled for an afternoon in the pub with great company. We sat reminiscing of old school times and wondering how we were now married with a child or engaged to be married. We seemed like the two same people who used to hang out together but a decade and a bit later. Time, especially with a child, seems to have accelerated and as Ferris Bueller says "Life move pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

It was nice taking a walk through places I used to hangout and remember as a teenager, sneaking a beer behind a building or buying (underage) a packet of cigarettes. I enjoyed the nostalgia but it made me think of how much I would rather look after the wee man than go out and spend a fortune on a hangover. Oh how times have changed...

jpr

No comments:

Post a Comment